Sunday, December 6, 2009

Troy's surgery

On Friday Troy went into the outpatient center to have his tongue tie lasered. We also woke up to this:

I was pretty nervous. They put him all the way under but there is no need for pain medicine because it's pretty simple. They kept saying, "It will feel like he burnt his tongue." I guess that's not too bad. Luckily my friend Ashley has been through it all before, her daughter had the same thing, so she helped talk me through it! That was so helpful! Here is Troy's before picture:




This is Troy after:




And here is Troy awake and ready to leave:



Once it was all done I thought that it was not too bad but I think I got a taste of what moms feel like when there kiddos have to undergo surgery. It's kind of a scary feeling! While all that was going on this is what Hailey was doing:


She got an awesome makeover from Grandma Hakes and Aunt Carrie. Hailey had a lot of fun! Thanks for helping us out! Here is a you tube video of a dentist doing one if you are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnJb61sHe4 Honestly after a saw this once I couldn't watch it again. We had a wonderful ears, nose, and throat Doctor who performed this for us and he did a great job. I'm glad we got it done. I'm also glad it's over. He has recovered really well. It really hasn't been too traumatizing. It's pretty cute to see him using his tongue differently, like today and yesterday he has started blowing/spiting, I can't really explain it but it's so cute and before he couldn't put his tongue there. There are some negative side effects for not fixing a tongue tie such as possible nursing problems, possible speech problems, not being able to lick an ice cream cone and difficulty kissing. Hopefully none of our other kids will be born with this.

7 comments:

  1. Ohh I didn't know he was getting this done!!! I would have been saying lots and lots of prayers for him! I'm glad he was such a trooper! I have to admit he looks so CUTE in his little robe and his hat, he looks so innocent. That is really scary to have your baby be put under, what a super mom you are to handle it so well. We can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea Troy had to have surgery on his tongue for this type of thing. I'm so glad the surgery went smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know! I feel like a terrible friend! I'm sorry I didn't know. I would've prayed lots and called to make sure everything was going ok. I'm glad all turned out well...you are my hero for dealing so well with that! I need to call you soon...we need to catch up! I miss you and love you lots girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that Troy had surgery! I would have asked about him at the ward party but I didn't know. I am so glad that he is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd been thinking about the surgery a long time but I wasn;t sure when we were going to do it. (We were thinking probably 6-9 months) I went into the specialist on Wednesday and he was like I can do it on friday, I was a little surprised with the quickness of it all but we decided to go ahead and do it. That's why no one knew about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should frame those pictures of Troy - in a 3-some frame - the one with the hat is so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to look at your blog more often! These pictures are soooooo cute! You and Josh make cute grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete